“Green Retailing” is all the rage in the marketing world and nothing says “green” like a tree. Trees mean clean air and water, lower energy bills and higher property values, all in one convenient package. And trees mean “green” in more ways than one. Studies have found that tree-lined retail districts encourage more frequent visits, more time spent shopping and more spending by consumers (Journal of Forestry, 2005). MillionTreesNYC can help merchants harness the power of trees to improve the look and appeal of their stores and shopping districts.
MillionTreesNYC staff, partner organizations, and volunteers perform outreach to local businesses and neighborhood partnerships to provide retail outlets with tree care resources.
Check out the many businesses we’ve engaged already and feel free to contact us if your community would like to get involved!
Volunteers with the Environmental Action Association reach out to store owners in Midtown Manhattan
The Human Impacts Institute goes door-to-door to promote tree care in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
MillionTreesNYC volunteer helps prune the Linden tree outside of Eduard’s Salon in Midwood, Brooklyn which has been cared for by the salon staff
Local café Communitea, Lolly’s Day Care Center, and Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer help care for trees in Long Island City, Queens
- Trees in commercial settings are attractive to shoppers.
- Flowers are beautiful additions to a tree bed that can distinguish your store or business district and enhance the shopping experience.
- Planting trees is a clear, green message to your customers, many of whom are drawn to businesses that give back to their community and are environmentally responsible.
- Caring for trees taps into the public’s growing commitment to sustainability and the environment.
- Shoppers give higher customer service ratings in districts with trees (Center for Urban Horticulture, 1998).
- Play a leading role in supporting the health and vitality of your trees.
- Schedule a comprehensive “green block” consultation for your business improvement district or merchants association by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enlist in our Stewardship Corps and proudly display the “We Grow Together” decal to let your customers know you support MillionTreesNYC.
- Tell us via Facebook, Twitter, or email about what you are doing to care for trees in your community and we will help promote your efforts!
- Check out Brooklyn Botanic Garden's Greening Up Your Storefront brochure for a few ideas on how to spruce up your retail space!
- Help spread the word. Download our Trees and Retail brochure and give to your fellow business owners.
Find more information on how trees benefit our city and its businesses by consulting the New York City Municipal Forest Resource Analysis report, and the United States Department of Agriculture's Assessing Urban Forest Effects and Values report.
Several organizations affiliated with MillionTreesNYC work to cultivate the business community in New York City. Business Improvement Districts (BIDs), not-for-profit profit organizations, and retail partnerships all help to harness the power of local outlets to make a difference in their neighborhoods. Let us know if you would like to grow together!
Human Impacts Institute Ecopreneurs
Environmental Action Association Outreach