Become a MillionTreesNYC Care Captain!
Care Captains enhance New York’s tree movement by providing more New Yorkers with the knowledge and tools necessary to realize the wonderful benefits that new trees bring to our city. Care Captains make our program stronger by teaching tree care workshops to their neighbors and friends for block associations, schools, or other civic associations.
Attend a Care Captain Training
What does a Care Captain gain?
- A good grounding in how to organize and run your own workshop, step-by-step
- All the supplies you need, from training manuals, tree care tools, access to the TreeLC Truck
- Eligible to receive first priority in free flower giveaways
- Seasonal-specific tree care strategies and tips
- A fuller understanding of the MillionTreesNYC initiative and NYC Parks’ planting program
- The opportunity to network with other community volunteer leaders and tree adopters
- The chance to co-teach with a Parks employee at one of our public workshops
- Advanced access to Parks programs and events
- Access to MTNYC website and social media to promote your tree care efforts (or promote your group)
Who can become a Care Captain?
- Anyone who has attended a TreeLC tree care workshop and is interested in getting involved in their community!
- No prior teaching or community organizing experience necessary
|Care Captain Recruitment Kit
All Care Captains receive a recruitment kit which includes helpful community organizing materials, flyer and social media outreach templates, TreeLC sign templates, and more!
Hear it from a veteran Care Captain!
Kyla Williamson, Care Captain of Inwood, Manhattan: “My particular goal is to continue our neighborhood greening efforts to help save a thousand trees on our streets. On our planet, these trees provide us our needed oxygen to help maintain our own health as they absorb heavy pollutants and provide us cooling shade after they reach maturity. We need every tree to grow, to be healthy, and to live a long life, as these trees help us exist!”
- If you’re committed to tree care in your community and want to plan and lead an event that attracts at least 10 volunteers and cares for at least 10 trees, then you should become a care captain!
- Sign up for an upcoming Care Captain training or email email@example.com with questions and for more information.